TOPIC: Andy MacPhail to succeed Phillies president Pat Gi
1 week 4 days ago #273694
Andy MacPhail's tenure as Phillies president will not officially begin until after the season, when the longtime baseball executive succeeds Pat Gillick in the role. Gillick, in turn Minnesota Twins Shop, will have final say on any trades the Phillies make leading to a crucial July 31 trade deadline. MacPhail will spend the season's final three months as a special assistant to Gillick, and during that time will observe the organization and how it functions. MacPhail, 62, has been out of baseball since 2011, his final year as the Baltimore Orioles' president of baseball operations. "I think my three main functions are going to be to read, to watch and to listen," MacPhail said Monday afternoon at an introductory press conference at Citizens Bank Park. "And then hopefully within three months I'll have a clear idea of what I think is appropriate and needs to be done." MacPhail led the Orioles from 2007 to 2011 Brian Dozier Jersey. In five seasons at the helm,he made several key dealsto help build the team on pace for its fourth consecutive winning season - trading for Adam Jones, Chris Davis, Chris Tillman and J.J. Hardy. MacPhail was also the general manager for the Minnesota Twins' last two world championships, in 1987 and 1991, and served as president and CEO of the Chicago Cubs from Sept. 1994 to Oct. 2006 before joining the Orioles. He grew up in a baseball family - both his father, Lee, and grandfather, Larry, are enshrined in Cooperstown as executives. John Middletown, the rarely heard from Phillies part-owner, pledged to MacPhail that he will "have access to whatever resources you need to succeed." (More to come... )
The administrator has disabled public write access.